If you spend some quality time outside then you stand to benefit from a whole host of health improvements. The great fiery ball in the sky can cause health problems if you are not careful, but it also helps improve your wellbeing – experts understand that spending time in the sun can boost your mood, lower levels of depression, improve your sleep, and protect against disease. Spend some time each day outside when the sun is in the sky – take a walk, play with the kids, take part in sport, or simply relax – when you enjoy the sun responsibly you’ll see how good it can be for your health. How does the sun help your health?
- Enhances bone health. When you are in the sun, the UV rays helps your body produce vitamin D, which is essential for the absorption of calcium from your food. With calcium and vitamin D you are at lower risk of fractures, bone disease, and osteoporosis.
- Helps protect against cancer. Exposure to the sun at safe levels provides protection against developing certain forms of cancer like breast cancer, colon cancer, and rectal cancer.
- Improves your sleep. Reset your body clock and benefit from a better night’s sleep when you spend time in the sunshine. Sunlight is a trigger for your body to stop producing melatonin. When it gets dark your body resumes the production, which helps you drift off to sleep.
- Protects against the symptoms of autoimmune disease. UV light decreases the sensitivity of an overactive immune system, which can cause problems in diseases like asthma, psoriasis and lupus.
- Lowers the severity of Alzheimer’s disease symptoms. People suffering from Alzheimer’s disease have better cognitive functionality and also display fewer signs of depression when they are exposed to strong light during the day. The benefits are believed to be due to the regulation of the body clock
- Improves your mood. Sunlight helps to increase serotonin production, which reduces levels of depression and helps if you suffer from seasonal affective disorder. Spending time in the sunshine generally makes life seem better – you are happier, less stressed, and less anxious.
What are you waiting for? Take a break in the sunshine to benefit from this wide range of health and wellbeing benefits. If you can also add some physical activity to the mix then you’ll increase the benefits 10-fold.